Wednesday 13 October 2010

So much music everywhere...

That's actually a title to a Brad Mehldau & Pat Metheny piece. It's certainly worth a listen. Beautiful...


Anyway, beyond stealing other artist's titles, I've been writing like a loon this week. Am at that point where I have five new things bubbling about, but nothing completed, or even fully sketched. Some interesting musical thoughts taking shape though. 
My newest jazz influenced piece is nearly ready to start orchestrating, and fleshing out the parts. I'm looking forward to that. 
I've also been working with loops, using garage band, for a change of scene, which has been really inspirational. I'm layering vocals, along the lines of the circle songs LVP were immersed into through Roger Treece this year. It's all a bit diatonic at the mo, but if I stick with it, I reckon I'll be able to explore more challenging areas, and get gritty with the harmonies. 
Then it occurred to me that the use of loops would be a really interesting way to layer contemporary techniques in solo instruments, whilst retaining some musicality, rhythmic probably more than melodic, but textural interest. I think it's too easy to write a piece that explores such areas as 'the extended range of the oboe', which certainly does explore that area, but does not always remain musical. (Ha; like what is musical anyway?)
So, I'll be doing some of that (thank you Steve Reich for New York Counterpoint...."London Loops" doesn't sound quite so compelling though, does it?!)), recording solo oboe. This week, I worked with an accordion player, and we created a little layered loop piece, which was really effective. yes, food for thought...


Then there's the music theatre piece that I'm writing for a performance on 3rd December. I've had a few ideas for that, but it's got be be fully formed with vocal and piano score completed by next Tuesday, so it's top of the pile. The male vocal line is inspired by poetry from prison inmates (which I've narrowed down to one particular poem). The music seems to be coming quite easily from the text...Hmm, we shall see. I'm going to get my brother over this weekend to be my singer. He has lots of West End experience, and knows his stuff, so that will be fun, and hopefully very productive.


The last thing for today was a session with Paul Patterson on Sibelius. Oh my; I am in shortcut heaven! Why did no-one tell me that the 'R' key copies highlighted passages with just 1 click, or that you can format rhythm and easily replace the pitches. Ah, loads of great tips, was definitely worth the 3 hour travel time for the 1 hour lesson.


I've been on a synchronicity vibe also...yesterday, on Victoria tube station, I bumped into a guitarist I met in the summer. Daniel; played gypsy jazz at my cousin's wedding. How random was that? and he introduced me to the music of a British big band composer I need to check out. Matthew Herbert. Very interesting.
Then today, I met on the train a drummer I worked with in one of my first bands. Crikey! We talked all the way from Three Bridges to London Bridge, certainly no awkward silences. Nice to catch up with Paul. I must find him on facebook...


Things are a little brighter today. I still haven't found my shine after a few rough weeks, but it might be just out the corner of my eye...


Nunight xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment