Wednesday 10 November 2010

and breathe......

Oh my. I swear it's getting crazier in here! 
I'm having the most amazing time at the academy, but it is certainly taking a little bit of me with it.


The problem really is time. I simply don't have enough of it. Now, I am a pretty disciplined person, but despite my best efforts, there are times when it simply seems more important to vacuum the stairs than to orchestrate my music theatre piece. Or that I simply have to have fresh peppermint for my tea if I am to work effectively. Or that tragic right hand, that reaches out for the mouse and of its own volition, finds its way to the facebook time vacuum!


I have not turned the tv on since summer. So at least that's something. And, you know what, I probably spend as much time as anyone else on the work / distraction quota. But I'm pretty hard on myself, and when the kids are here, there simply are things that have to be done (especially cuddles!) Ah, the balance eludes me.


Have had some great musical moments this week tho. My music theatre short score is done and submitted, and I've done a scratch recording of it, which is great. I have discovered that I prefer to orchestrate with pencil and paper, and in fact, since I saw Gary on Tuesday, he has encouraged me to do only that; to develop my 'inner ear'. So I've got a big fat A3 canvas to fill in. It's a pretty big ensemble...wish me luck! Have 1 week to get it done. I keep hearing that countdown musical theme; it's my current, and frustrating ear-worm. Running round and round my 'inner ear'...I reckon that once my piece is completed, if you listen carefully, there just might be a moment when you hear the countdown theme sneaking into the clarinets...!


Orchestration class is starting to make a little sense; I don't feel like a complete retard anymore, which is good. We are gong to the 'wand shop' tomorrow; off to buy our batons! Hurrah. Mine shall be made with the feather of a phoenix, and the orchestra will obey my every whim!


I had a lovely outing with my friend Jules. We had a moment of culture at the tate modern. It was a great experience, and it was just lovely to hang out with my buddy...I don't get much time for things like that. Mwah the Jules.


I find myself drawn to the composition of new material for instruments with less repertoire. Basically the accordion and the bassoon. The thing is, that I am in a place where the best players in the world are happy to sit with you and show you their instrument, and talk about the details of playing style and application. My first collaboration will be with Rafal Luc, who is the most amazing accordion player, and is showing me around this fascinating and complex instrument. On Tuesday, I had an accordion lesson, and to play it was such a great idea. Now I have a feel for the workings of it, and can't wait to get writing. (the only thing was that his accordion is really big...and I am really small. It was comedy!)


So next week, it's LVP, Roehampton dance, Chroma ensemble, Music theatre orchestration, MAX MSP, too much coffee, and less distractions. 
Maybe coffee with my bro, and dinner with Jules?...well, we all need a break sometime...x

No comments:

Post a Comment