Wednesday 17 November 2010

The leap of faith...

And so, my tumble into the abyss was not so bad afterall...
Did I mention that my tutor asked me to orchestrate my music theatre piece (When I hit the street) without any 'musical' aids? No piano, no sibelius, just me and my pencil (and rubber, bien sur!), and a big pile of manuscript paper. 
Hmm. 


Thing is; I did a whole undergrad degree in which my music was abstract. Dots on the page, but never on the music stand (except my jazz pieces, which I performed, and my big band piece). One of things that freaks me out, is the musicians who are going to take my dots and turn them into sound. They are all class, and most of them 'top class'. It's a pressure, you know...the 'big, wide world' thing.


So..picture this, if you will.. 20 pages of A3 manuscript; 1 vocal part, 1 gaping score. 16 musicians and a load of musical theatrics men ready to sing, with heart and soul, the words of these 'tortured' prisoners.
No pressure then?!


I've had a ball, writing this stuff. Orchestrating by ear, by heart and by theory...


So I took it to Gary today; and you know what? He likes it!
Some nips and tucks, but it's all there.


So tonight, I had an evening off. Spoke to my kids, who make me proud and happy every day. Saw my brother, who is my special fave. Spoke to Jules, who is my princess, and did my very best to be strong without my people here...Alex, Oj, Nel....it's so quiet. But not lonely...so I'll be okay I guess.
the world spins, and a daily question?... my own place within this madness...well, don't we all?


Nunight friends xxx

2 comments:

  1. What you are achieving is immense...You are just amazing....Keep on it....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mwah, thanks Cuz! I'm surely gonna need a big break of the Canada variety when this is all over. I'll bring OJ and Nel over for camping and jollity...maybe I can hook up with some Canadian composers while I'm there...there's some class music going on in your neck of the woods.

    Random gig coming up, playing carols in St Margarets (?) church in Addington in Dec. Thought of you and yours and the days of Coughlans and smoking and singing and the milk machine...

    Luffu xxx

    ReplyDelete