Monday 22 November 2010

You just never know huh?

No.1...I've completed my orchestration. Thank goodness for that. I was starting to think that it was going to remain elusive for the rest of my living days!
No.2...I went to London yesterday to a 'champagne reception' and talk / music with the astounding Sir Peter Maxwell Davies. His horn quintet (I am sure it has a better name, but for now that'll do!), was conducted by Jonathan Mann - academy conductor. Class job J man! I took him to one side at the end, and asked for his help with conducting. As part of my course, we are taking a class in orchestration and conducting. Now - nothing yet has been 'comfortable', but conducting??? the last thing I conducted was the school orchestra when I was 14 - and they made me stand on a chair because I was too small to be seen by the backline...Aah, nothing changes, except that I now have a collection of fine 6" heels, which may do the job as well as any grey school chair! However - leading a shit hot ensemble in contemporary music? So glad I've met Jonathan. We're having coffee Thursday lunchtime; he says he'll show me the basics. (I wonder if he knows just how basic that is!!!)
2.2; met Colin - Max's partner. he was lovely. Showed me lots of pics of where they live in Orkney. Then invited me up to visit! Ah yes, a weekend with Max n Colin, and maybe  little red wine? Sounds good to me!


No.3..serendipity. I was on my way home, for the 'early night'...10.32 from Victoria...all good. Until I bumped into a fellow musician and virtual stranger on the station. Daniel was on his way to Ronnie Scotts to see Jon Hendricks (whom I was supposed to be in a masterclass with this week, but couldn't make, because of a tragic timetable clash). He said 'come'...I said 'no...I must work'...
so then we're at Ronnies. I got in by luck, some American visitors had a spare ticket, and more than kindly invited me to join them or the evening. So I Did! Funny how life pans out huh?
They would not even consider letting me pay for my ticket, and shared their Tattinger champagne with me, while we watched the king of vocalise do his thing.


No.4...Pete was there too (king of jazz, light shiner on my world)..and introduced me to James (boss of Ronnies). He said how much he loves LVP, and that he wants us to sing there!


Ronnie Scotts. LVP. Max, Colin, Orkney. My friend Jules, My children.
My friend Oz, for percussion advice at any time of night.
My friend Hollie, who is going to crack the smoking thing!
My choir
My family
My sanity




welcome to my world...


It's kinda fun! 


Nunight friends x

No comments:

Post a Comment