Wednesday 3 November 2010

Gunpowder, treason and plot...

So, the plot thickens...will she possibly make the deadlines that are looming so large? Can she ever immerse herself into a world of contemporary classical craziness to such an extent that writing in that style is not faked or forced? 
John Williams writes 9-5 every day. He aims to complete between 30 seconds to 2 minutes of music in that time. I was shitting myself with the '3 weeks to compose 8 minutes' deadline for Chroma that arrived in my inbox on Friday.
In isolation, it might be possible. Coupled with orchestrating my music theatre piece, recording and composing a soundtrack for the 'Horripilation' animated short, planning the piece for the Roehampton dance project...oh my, I can't complete the list; it's exhausting!
Anyway, have a lot on my plate. An awful lot ;)


Went to see my friend Gary this afternoon. Laid my fears in his lap. He is the lamb, and has mended my temporary tilt into beyond stress. He phoned Phil (head of composition), and has delayed my Chroma piece until the second deadline, which gives me a couple of extra weeks. There is light!
Then he showed me the delights of scoring in logic. Simply blows the socks off sibelius in certain areas. So that's my ticket for now...score the music theatre piece in logic, research suitable styles and instrumentation techniques for Chroma. Await the imminent arrival of the storyboard for animation project. Learn Jon Hendricks arrangements for LVP ready for the masterclass on 19 Nov. Get my soft head around MAX MSP. 
A little aside is a new collaboration with Rafal. Yr 4 accordion player. He is amazing! Polish dude, prize winning player and up for new music. Accordion is another step beyond my comfort zone (maybe I just don't have a comfort zone at this level?!!). Spent a happy hour or more in the library with Rafal today looking at scores and analysing the good and bad elements of scores. There is a market for this music. I am certainly going to explore this area...and if I can do it with one of the best players in the world?...well, who wouldn't?


Funny thing is. I'm happy. I'm doing it. My kids came to school with me on Friday (their half term, of course, not mine). They were golden. Took them for dinner at Hayes Galleria....we have some super adventures Oj, Nel and me, and if I ever worry that they do not get the best of me, I try to think of our adventures; and there are so many! I know I'm not the text book mother figure, but I am 3 dimensional, and I love to have fun, so it's not so bad I think, being my child. How many children have been backstage in many London venues, have sung with Cleo Laine? (OJ?!), have hung out at the Royal Academy of Music? Have met Mr. Bobby Mc Ferrin, Mr. Peter Churchill, Mr. Simon Bainbridge? Bless my people. They keep me real, and they are always up for a hug. {{{MWAH}}}


Nunight then. Sweet dreams x

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think 'bless my people' is where we all find solace and support; that often well chosen comment that buoys us and gives us strength....My own blessed people are all flourishing...(PS last post removed because inane rambling on second read through)

    ReplyDelete