Friday 3 September 2010

A new journey

What is a single mother from Crawley doing, going back to school? Well, iI can tell you, it's been an interesting journey, and this is just another step along the way. Where will it lead? I don't know, and I don't much mind. It's the journey that thrills me.
Next Wednesday I start a Masters in Composition at the Royal Academy of Music in London. It is beyond a life ambition, and I feel so privileged to have been given this opportunity.

Who am I anyway? I am a 37 year old mother of 2. Oscar and Ellen - 8 and 7 now, and both at junior school this year. I have been a musician for 20 years...20 years? It seems crazy! And still I ramble on, ever changing, but with one constant in my life - the music.

I play the piano, and play keyboards in various bands; function bands mainly, some great, some crap. I also sing. How I love to sing!
My favourite kind of music to perform is jazz. Me, my piano, my voice. Its quite something to be self-sufficient as a musician, to be able to create a performance all on your own. Of course, I love to play with other musicians, (especially the ones that listen!) but it is nice to just sit there and noodle through my favourite tunes. I've played pianos in so many places - from castles to barracks, mansion houses to smelly pubs. It's all about the music. Once I start to play, it doesn't matter where I am or what time it is, it's not about how much I will be paid, or what happens next. It's just about the music, and it wraps you up and takes you wherever you want to go.

I've opened this blog because I know that the next 2 years of study are going to be really challenging, and my way of coping with stress is to write things down. It leaves more space in my head for thinking about the things I am supposed to be concentrating on.

and so...let the journey begin.

Nikki x

No comments:

Post a Comment