Tuesday 21 September 2010

Oh yes. The jazz speaks

I'm happy to compose any kind of music. Some I'm good at, some I'm shit at, but I'll try anything. Today I had 20 minutes to compose a performance piece that could be played on any instrument, with a performance time of 10 seconds (£35 per ticket please ladies and gents!)
Myself and Laura the flautist, (who hates her name, because she thinks it's bland), came up with a piece in which specific notes or rests were assigned to letters of the alphabet. it was up to the performer to play the notes of their name, using a dynamic variation which they felt defined their character. 
Pretentious perhaps, but actually quite interesting. Involve the performer in the outcome of their performance, rather than defining every factor, and you get a much more 'real' end product. i guess classical performers don't have enough room for self expression within the traditional canon of through composed pieces. Hmm, food for thought.

Saw that Gary today, and he looked right through me and out the other side. What I love to do and desire is to compose for big band, and incorporate jazz style into orchestral work. Cheeky bugger saw that in only our second meeting, and has actively encouraged me to run with it. Hurrah. 
Life is better when you are saying what you want to say, rather than what you think somebody else might want to hear. I get caught between those 2 places with monotonous regularity. I really didn't think that the academy wanted to hear my jazz chops on viola, so I was trying to suppress that voice. Now I can really go out to play!
Get me some Maria Schneider and Colin Towns. Yi!!

No comments:

Post a Comment